I’ve taken down the widget with a heavy sigh because the campaign for Lilly Ledbetter over at the point failed to meet it’s goal. If you missed it, you can catch up by reading What’s The Point. While the campaign to help inspire Goodyear to give Lilly Ledbetter a fair shake didn’t work out, I’m still quite happy to have learned of both her story, and the site where I feel I can contribute to the world at large and actually make something happen.
While I don’t spend as much time perusing The Point as I’d like to (I do have to work, you know), I have joined one other campaign. It’s a campaign to help inspire Dunkin’ Donuts to allow a non-profit organization to collect food they’d otherwise throw away. Here’s the campaign summary:
- 6,000+ people living in Wake County, nearly a third of whom are children, live under the poverty line and are at risk of hunger.
- 800,000 tons of consumable food are thrown away in North Carolina annually, but we can work to rescue some of this food to give it to those at risk of hunger locally.
- The Dunkin Donuts on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh will not donate their leftover donuts to this cause.
- 50 Dunkin Donuts customers will agree to boycott Dunkin Donuts until they agree to let a volunteer from the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, a Wake County nonprofit that rescues food that would otherwise be thrown away, come in twice a week to collect leftover donuts.
- These donuts will be redistributed to Wake County homeless, hungry, or homebound individuals, families, and children by the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle, who says that offering these special treats to complement their nutritious meal offerings raises their clientâ€™s morale and sense of normalcy as they battle poverty.
So there ya have it. I’m willing to never purchase another Dunkin’ Donut if they’re NOT willing to let a volunteer from a food shuttle come collect the food they’re going to throw out into the trash anyway. Feel free to join me.
You can also Visit Me on The Point and share which campaigns you think are worthy. I’m afraid I don’t have many friends there, so do me the favor of adding me as a contact if you join (or are already a member)!